Friday, March 25, 2011

Mountain o' Meatballs...



Mike gets credit for discovering this recipe, although he has never made it, so I guess I get the credit this time.  This recipe makes 4.5 dozen meatballs!  It's simple enough, just one of those things that is rather time consuming and does take a little bit of patience as there is a lot of "resting" time for the meat.....I took advantage of this and simultaneously made a pizza!  With homemade crust of course, the best sauce at Safeway, some spinach, shredded mozzarella, and sliced onions.  Oh wait....back to the balls.....

I started by taking 2 packages of ground turkey (I buy them when they are at their cheapest 2 for $5) and I package of ground pork (this was just under $3)....here's what gives it all the delicious layers of flavors..
- 3 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp pepper, cayenne, cinnamon, & salt
- 1/2 tsp turmeric


  Two eggs work as a great binding agent.  I find it best to mix this up with your hands, which would make them smell awful nasty.....raw turkey and pork smell......I prefer to wear rubber gloves when I am working with meat in this manner....I also end up rolling them like a cookie after I scoop out a serving size, after letting the meat rest for an hour in the refrigerator.....I lightly grease a pan with extra virgin olive oil and when hot add meatballs.  When browned on one side, flip....this works well using two forks.....then continue cooking.....I usually let them get about 80% cooked and then take them off the heat.  The meat will continue to cook after it is off the heat.  I only go to 80% because I end up packing these up in ziploc bags and freezing them....then I take them out and defrost and warm in the oven.....I bet you were wondering when the baking part was coming in, after all this is a blog about baking! ......they are great in pasta, and topped with BBQ sauce is good too!  They really are the most versatile meatball I have had the pleasure of making....so go ahead and be creative with them......

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment