Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Cranberry Almond Scones

This recipe is adapted from the Williams-Sonoma Baking Book's recipe for Almond-Currant Scones.

4 cups flour
3TBSP granulated sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp fine sea salt
1 cup cold butter
2 eggs
1 cup skim milk
2 TBSP fat free vanilla coffee creamer
almonds and cranberries

  The original recipe also called for currents and buttermilk - not coffee creamer (but what the heck - you use what you got!)  It actually added a nice flavor to the scone...I would do it again. Also the recipe called for the zest of the rind of an orange which I would have used had I had any oranges....they are in season right now so they don't last too long around these parts....
    Add all the dry ingredients together.  Then cut in the butter....I cut it in cubes and then wear rubber gloves while I mix it...it's old fashioned but I don't have the proper equipment to complete such a task.....after all I am not in the masterchef kitchen....although sometimes I pretend I am and when I just throw something together the day before I need to go grocery shopping and you look in the fridge and think how in the heck is this going to happen....and then I think of Tim Gunn and I make it work!   I consider this to be my own version of a mystery box challenge!

  Back to the scones:
   Whisk all of the wet ingredients and then stir into the dry ingredients....add in the almonds and cranberries right away - otherwise the dough will be worked too much and become stiff.....I added what was left in the pantry...I am guess about 3/4 cup of each....if I had more I would have added about 1 cup each....just to have them burst with goodness!  I hand rolled the dough out in 2 squares then cut out triangles..I ended up with 16 all together....sprinkled the top with a little sugar and then baked in a 375 degree oven for a little over 20 minutes....actually I set the time for 20 minutes and then realized they were not quite done....so I got the roast pork ready for the oven....by the time that was done the scones were ready!

 Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment